Friday, May 9, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread, Day 2


I came home last night to find a present on the kitchen counter, a quart ziploc bag filled with squashy flecked brown mush, and a sheet of cryptic instructions (Day 1: Mush the bag, Day 2: Mush the bag). The identity of this intruder wasn't instantly clear, but after I ruled out alien frogspawn... it turned out that what I have in hand is a starter for Amish Friendship Bread, courtesy of Dave 'Tater' Polato via Jill. This reportedly delicious bread is a sweet quickbread, containing all kinds of spices and a shot of vanilla pudding. The recipe it comes with is a kind of chain letter. I imagine that the world contains a minimum of people who are really delighted to receive a chain sticky package of Amish love and the baking commitment that it entails. I am, luckily, one of those people (read: dorks). Thanks Dave.

I'll keep a visual diary of the results as I forge ahead with the extremely difficult bag-mushing instructions over the next ten days. If you are also one of those dorks, and want your own bag of mush, let me know, and you shall have it (assuming you live within a reasonable mush-delivery radius).

No comments: