Saturday, September 27, 2008

Eggplant Parmesan

I may have mentioned that eggplant has been causing me problems. I love the idea of it, and the feel of those smooth dark oval beasts, but I don't really know how to cook and eat it, beyond a few basics. It doesn't usually enter into my cooking imagination. However, maybe with this one the simplest plan is the best. Grill it. Roast it. Or, go classic and fry it up, douse with cheese and tomatoes, and call it Eggplant Parmesan. With one eggplant already tragically wasted, and two more waiting in the fridge, we had no time to waste, and so we got to work breading (Matt's special blend of corn flour, garlic powder, salt, and I'm not sure what else), and frying, and dumping in the casserole. Marcella Hazan (pictured in book form above the toaster) gave us some guidance, but really, it's not hard to figure out how to do this one without a recipe.
And it is so delicious.

No comments: