Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: French Yogurt Cake

The full name of this entry should have been French Yogurt Cake with marmalade glaze, but as I did no such thing, I wouldn't want to deceive you.

I've posted before about this year's addiction to Clothilde's Yogurt Cake. I've made it in Brooklyn and on Cape Cod and would probably have made it in Uganda if I'd stayed there much longer. It's the first thing I made with my swap shop birthday mixer. It's all purpose breakfast and lunch and after-school and dinner and late night cake. Dorie's cake is a variation on the same theme. If I didn't read too many food blogs, how would I know that the French tend to make yogurt cake from the base measurement unit of the yogurt container itself? I would have had to read this recipe, which shares the exact same mystical information. I can never be truly French, it says, my yogurt containers are just not the right size. Luckily, Americans and sympathetic French citizens have saved the day by modifying the recipe, and I love all the permutations of it that I have yet to come up against.

Dorie's version includes a bunch of almond flour in place of some of the flour, which is a very good idea. I used brown sugar and threw a bunch of cranberries on top, which of course in a bundt pan is the bottom, and got a nice little ring. Should have doubled it for a truly handsome cake, as this one was a little small, but no one at rehearsal seemed to mind.
And the glaze? No glaze.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Look delicious! I LOVED this cake, it smelled so good while cooking and tasted wonderful :) I paired it with simple lemon curd. YUM!

chocolatechic said...

I love that you added fruit to the batter.

Brilliant.

Jennifer said...

WOW! Beautiful job!