Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Coconut-Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise

This over-the-top little confection is one of my favorite pictures in the book, and the geek in me revels in the complicated component prep and assembly. The dessert itself was good, but I think I'm a purist--give me my roasted pineapple plain. But this was very fun to make.

Coconut and almond meringue circles, layered with a creamy frosting and roasted pineapple. Dorie's creamy frosting was a white chocolate ganache, which I actually bought the chocolate for, but then decided to switch out for one layer of greek yogurt and two layers of Dorie's amazing lemon cream, which I had made to fill the sample wedding cake (see last week). The result was a little different than what the original recipe would have given me, but the technique was the same, and it looked lovely and sliced cleanly. Next time, if I could get past just shoving fistfuls of roasted pineapple into my mouth, I would leave out the white chocolate and do this with plain, very lightly sweetened whipped cream.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

white chocolate is ick.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried greek yogurt but I hear so much about it, I'll have to try it!
You're so funny about fistfuls of roasted pineapple! I think your version of the dacquoise looks really yummy!

Sophie said...

i just realized the picture on the top of your blog is the oven. i always thought it was an ear or an old fashioned telephone.