Tuesday, July 6, 2010

CSA #4: Zucchini!

Our CSA is starting to move into full summer mode, with greens-heavy shares giving way to more varied hauls, including heavier vegetables such as zucchini and summer squash, and broccoli.
This week, we got two heads of kohlrabi, one bunch of chard and one of yukina savoy, some more garlic scapes, scallions, a sage plant, a small head of broccoli, romaine lettuce, and three summer squashes.

I'm working very hard to use all the vegetables, as it feels like an unbelievable crime to waste them. This week I had two major successes. One was a classic Caesar salad, using Alice Waters' recipe from The Art of Simple Food. For my first ever assignation with cooking anchovy filets, it was a smashing success.

The second was this tart, which I made as a housewarming gift for Avi and Stacey, who just moved into a beautiful new apartment. The tart is based on a recipe from the Once Upon a Tart cookbook, a book from a Sullivan St. cafe I used to walk by on my way to work at The Flea Theater. In 2003. Back when I had a job and didn't spend all my time making tarts.
The zucchini and summer squash were oven-roasted with garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper for about 20 minutes, then cooled and laid on a par-baked semolina savory tart crust over some chopped dried red plums, and then filled in with a curry-spiked custard and baked some more.

No comments: