Saturday, November 27, 2010

Tuesdays with Dorie Rewind: Lime Cream Tart

Photo by Matt Korahais.
Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever posted this tart, though I've certainly posted the graham cracker crust version of it. This buttery citrus cream, a recipe from Pierre Herme, is so good that it appears three times in Baking: From My Home to Yours, in lemon, lime, and orange guises. While I'm eager to try the orange someday, for this Thanksgiving dessert, I gave the shoppers the option of the citrus of their choice, and they picked out lime.

Unlike the classic lime pie, a baked custard with condensed milk, this cream is a stovetop custard that is then blended with an undisclosed amount of butter until it emulsifies into a rich spoon-licker of a cold filling. The filling went into a somewhat sloppy cookie crust (next time we're back to graham cracker, early training can't be contradicted), and seemed to make everyone happy. We also had an apple crisp (somehow not as crispy as hoped), and a vanilla ice cream taste-off between two artisan brands that both had 'Island' somewhere in their names. I guess they have a lot of islands around Seattle here.
Photo by Matt Korahais.

No comments: