Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Jess and Christianity


Jessica's fabulous birthday cake, made by Jill. There are even more eggs buried in all that grass.
Amazing.

The recipe came to me from Diane, my parents' neighbor, and is originally from Barts in Northampton. I make it all the time. An old friend from college just told me she still makes a version of it.

Bart's Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
2 tsp salt

1.5 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1.25 cups oil

2 cups hot coffee
2 tsp baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix throughly. In a small bowl, measure out the baking soda and pour the hot coffee on top, mix to dissolve. Pour the coffee mixture into the batter, stir just to combine. Bake in a buttered pan for 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let it sit a bit before unmolding, and, if you, let it cool entirely before eating. It tastes better that way.


2 comments:

Maureen said...

This is a fantastic recipe. My aunt used to be a cook at Barts and passed down the recipe to folks in my family. I was googling to see if it was posted anywhere else and to see if anyone had tried adjusting it - sometimes it falls, and I wonder if using dutched cocoa would make a difference.

Katya said...

Maureen, how funny that you found it. It's pretty awesome, for sure.

I've never had it fall, and I've used just about any cocoa I can think of.