Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gâteau au Yaourt

The other night, lost in the morass of craigslist apartment hunting, I was neglecting myself and every task I could think of. I was even unable to come up with something to eat that would make me happy. This is unusual, because more often the process of coming up with something to eat makes me feel happy. I just wanted something simple and plain that could be made with the ingredients on hand and would go reasonably well with slow-roasted turnips.

Voila, yogurt cake, recipe courtesy of Clothilde at Chocolate & Zucchini. The only changes I made were to use buttermilk instead of yogurt (which I think made it even moister) and to drop the rest of the sour cherries that have been waiting in the freezer into the batter at the last minute. I also made it in a slightly smaller, higher, tin than Clothilde recommends, which also added to the moistness and to the cooking time.

I understand from The Amateur Gourmet and others that this recipe has been sweeping the blog world, and justifiably. It's delicious, simple, and comforting. And very good for breakfast.

No comments: