Friday, November 21, 2008

Delicious Goo

What is this wonderful mess? Guess...Yes it is. I made marshmallows. Real ones. This is one of the few times I'm willing to suspend all my food additive iffiness, because you just can't really make this kind of candy without really going all out on corn syrup and white sugar. And it is gooey and delicious. And easy. To make these, I used an Alton Brown recipe recommended by Artisan Sweets.

They are basically sugar, salt, corn syrup, gelatin, vanilla extract, and water. Heat em, whip em, dry em and coat them in tapioca starch and powdered sugar, and then cut them up and eat them! They work! They are marshmallows! Matt used them for raw s'mores and I put them into my cocoa. Actually, I made cocoa especially for them. Now I am consumed with plans to make them thicker, higher, and better flavored...Any ideas? Coffee flavored and cocoa dusted comes to mind via Martha Stewart...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been involved in a home-made marshmallow fest only once before, and we went the s'mores route. I've been kicking myself ever since for not carving them into animal shapes so as to have my own Peeps.

I mean, you could have whatever animals you want! What could be better? I want a marshmallow giraffe, or a marshmallow investment banker to melt slowly into hot cocoa.