Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies

I haven't disappeared nor stopped baking--it's just been a rough week. I'm popping typhoid pills and running benefits, and that's just the beginning. I'm also leaving for Uganda on Christmas day, so things are busy around here, but with school wrapping up this week I have a little breathing room.
In between all the running around, I made these Tuesdays with Dorie cookies. Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies are very buttery, though if I remember rightly, there's also an egg in there somewhere. The recipe offers the roll-out option or the slice and bake, which I went for. I flavored them with Meyer lemon zest and froze them in a log, then rolled them in sugar and cut them out.
I think they're more elegant this way. Especially with Christmas sugar. On Friday, Nicola and Jill and I will reprise the second annual holiday cookie baking extravaganza. Now with more caramel.
Matt's been hugely supportive during my disaster-laden busy weeks, which sadly even encompassed his birthday, and he was very supportive also about these cookies. I'm always surprised when my chocolate lovers really embrace a plain cookie, but I shouldn't be surprised about Matt, he also loves ginger things and plainish coffeecakes. On the Venn diagram of our intersecting tastes, these cookies were almost perfectly centered. They'd take very well to more flavorings, but there's nothing wrong with them plain and simple.

No comments: