Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Lemon Cup Custard

This one was a no-brainer.
I love cup custard. I love lemon. And I was on a clear liquid diet eagerly awaiting my promotion to soft foods.

So, lemon cup custard. In cups, of course.
Infuse milk with lemon zest, strain and whisk into eggs and sugar, add a touch of hazelnut extract. Bake in water bath. I had some for breakfast. Very good, perhaps just slightly richer than my usual. I'll have to check the proportions and see if that was real or perceptual.
I recently found out that I have a custard-loving friend who does not know how to make this ultimate easy comfort food for herself. I would be so sad if I did not know how to make custard. My mother is a big fan of grape-nuts custard, and my father adores jello, so there was always something quivering in my childhood home, and those were some of the earliest things I learned to cook. Today is my father's birthday, which is traditionally celebrated with either carrot cake or a jello party, where each guest brings their own fanciful creation. Consider this my slightly off-topic offering, Dad. I'm still saving the Nigella Lawson gin and tonic jello mold for next time.

I have bombarded the above-mentioned friend with offers of instruction and recipes. By the end of this month, she will know how to make custard or it won't be my fault. What she does with this knowledge is up to her.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny. I love custard too.

Anonymous said...

A jello party sounds fun!

Jules Someone said...

Sounds like a good time. Nice custard.

Teanna DiMicco said...

Hahaha I hope she does learn how to make custard! Great post!

TeaLady said...

Custard look just right. Jello party!! Interesting.

Joan said...

thanks for your offering. have to get back to that jello party tradition!
love
dad