Thursday, June 18, 2009

CSA #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting for weeks, dreaming about my first bags of Saratoga greens from Windflower farm. I love my CSA with an irrational love that has nothing to do with actual cost-effectiveness, quaintness, or anything else. I just love going and getting my vegetables. It's abundant, prepaid, and always surprising. Not to gush, but it feels like a present every week.
This year, we're sharing our share with my co-worker and neighbor, Jon. Pictured above is our half of the first pickup. Should I list what the whole share contained, or what we ultimately took home? For right now, I'll list the whole share, on the understanding that we got approximately half.

We got:
1 head kohlrabi
1 head bok choy
1 bunch swiss chard (not pictured, we traded our half the bunch for Jon's half of the bok choy.
1 head romaine lettuce
1 bunch kale
1 bunch scallions
7 little summer squash
garlic scapes
1 scraggly potted oregano

First CSA meal was the kohlrabi raw with hummus, pork dumplings (see previous post), and a stir-fry of summer squash, garlic scapes, and bok choy with sesame oil, chili flakes, and oyster sauce. Yes, Dad, I do too eat vegetables.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I share your excitement! This is my first year of participating in a CSA, and it feels great!

Joan said...

glad you're eating your vegetables. kohlrabi is the bomb. do you know they eat it three to four times per week in Kashmir??

love

dad