Monday, May 24, 2010

Heavenly Cake Bakers: Bernachon Palet D'or Gateau

Such a 'proper bakery cake.' Single layer of rich cocoa sour cream cake, coated with chocolate ganache, and dripped with the lacquer glaze that made its previous appearance on the Chocolate Apricot Roulade. Rose's version, which is the cover cake on the book, is draped in currants and gold leaf. I didn't have any currants, and was about to run home for my fake gold leaf when Lily pulled out a few sheets of the real stuff, and we had fun peeling it on, although my technique was less than deft. Still any gold leaf is good gold leaf...and the cake was a Mother's Day hit at the bakery.

I didn't wind up tasting the finished cake, because I couldn't bear to take the first piece, but I did get enough of the scraps and bits of ganache to know that it was moist, with a hint of sharpness from the sour cream, and very good indeed. A very simple cake, really, under a few layers of fancy.

6 comments:

Alpha Baker Joan said...

What a fine, shiny glaze! I know it tasted equally as lovely!

Unknown said...

Ok.. I'm totally jealous.. how you got it so shiny? How, How?????

If you love chocolate, you need to try it.. its like a chocolate truck driving you over! :)

faithy said...

Gorgeous glaze!! It's beautiful!

Vicki said...

Beautiful! I imagine customers were very impressed. Your glaze looks perfect.

Sophie said...

blog about the liana strawberry shortcake please!

Alpha Baker Joan said...

Wow - I wish mine had looked like this!