Friday, July 11, 2008

Reviving the Starter

It's been so hot lately, and I've been so run off my feet, that turning on the oven and making bread just hasn't been that possible. But on Thursday, with a pile of transcription work to do and no other reason to leave home, I decided it was time to see if my much-neglected starter still had any life.

Refreshed overnight, it was at full strength, and did a great job raising these little boules, the basic pain de campagne from Local Breads. This, at least in this incarnation, is a soft-textured sandwich bread, with surprising lightness for a sourdough raised loaf (at least one of mine). It should probably have been wetter (I think I'm buying very absorbent wheat flour) but it was a pleasure to revive not only the starter but the process, and get back to baking.

No comments: