Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Black and White Banana Bread

After two weeks on a frantic apartment search and two weeks in Cape Cod away from my Baking book, here's a little Tuesdays with Dorie (or Morrie, as everyone in my life insists on calling it, my friends not being the type that care to cater to cutesiness nor accuracy at all times) action. [Pictures TK, my computer is in the shop getting a new soul].

I did actually make a Dorie Greenspan recipe last Tuesday, but it was a re-run and the site managers have discouraged those, so I'll keep it to myself officially, though pictures might appear here all the same. For the interested, it was the pecan sour cream biscuits, with added wild blueberries from Matt's parents' neighbors in Truro, who were having a bumper crop and so nicely shared. I wanted to make them a little thank you, so these not-too-sweet biscuits were perfect. In a daring move, I substituted strawberry yogurt for the aforementioned sour cream, and it more or less worked. (And no, they weren't pink.)

But pecan sour cream biscuits aside, this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection was Black and White Banana Bread (recipe here), a marbled take on the classic that ups the butter and egg content to create a consistency something like bread pudding. Several TWD people expressed concern at the extreme mushy nature of their loaves, but having been forewarned, I enjoyed it.

The only modification I made to the recipe was to use 2 bananas instead of the recommended 1.5, and to decrease the butter by a corresponding amount (about 3-4 tablespoons). I took the whole thing over to some friends in Astoria, who had called me earlier in the week to say they were having a party. When I got there, I found one of them headed to the laundromat and the other puttering around, having canceled their party and neglected to mention it to me because I'd been vague about my attendance. Regardless, the banana bread (pudding) got eaten, and another Tuesdays with Dorie was fulfilled.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Well, that stinks that you went to a party that was happening. Did you share it with them anyway? Hope you enjoyed it.

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Please share the biscuit rewind! I joined too late for them the first time around, and I've been really curious.