Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Mystery Confection, Part II

Ladies and gentlemen...the Princessetarte!Genoise brushed with a sugar syrup, layered with jam, whipped cream, and pastry cream, and topped with a thin layer of marzipan. It's apparently big in Sweden and parts of the midwest, and they sell a frozen version at IKEA. I've made this twice before (actually twice in the same weekend) and it was a big hit, but this version, via Martha Stewart Living, wasn't quite on the ball. It might have just been me, I was doing bits and pieces of it at odd hours, but the cake was tough and eggy, the pastry cream a touch lumpy, and nothing was quite as it should have been. It was still delicious, though, and so much fun to play with.
This is a terrible picture, but I wanted to give some idea of the interior. It just wasn't that popular--a little wet, a little weird, a little green, and the cake a little too tough. Quite frankly, even I, who loves every component of this cake and have loved previous versions, wasn't too impressed. People ate it, though, even as they muttered about all that cream. The next day we nibbled leftovers but mostly stole the whipped cream out for our pumpkin pie. And it wasn't like we were hurting for desserts. Below is just a small sampling, including chocolate layer cake, meringues by Dottie, and brown butter spoon cookies.The star of the show, though, and probably the only thing we needed, was my mother's glamorous fruit platter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you're marvelous, and reading about weird green cake compelled me to say so.