Monday, June 29, 2009

CSA 2009 Week Two

I thought we'd be just fine sharing our share this year, as last year we often had overrun, and there were more people living in the house. Either I've become a better cook, we just eat more greens, or the season hasn't really properly gotten underway upstate yet, because we've eaten through our share and it's only Monday morning, without another distribution until Thursday. Luckily, we'll be out of town for the weekend, so it shouldn't matter. Everything is tasting very good, though, and I am welcoming the return of familiar vegetables that I never would have grown familiar with if it hadn't been for the CSA. Turnips. Who knew?
This week, our half was:

5 garlic scapes
1/2 head of romaine lettuce
1/2 head broccoli
1/2 lb snow peas
bunch small white turnips
bunch small breakfast radishes
1/2 bunch 'lance-leaf' kale, which looked like dandelions and tasted like bitter lettuce
1/2 bunch scallions
and a basil plant, which Jon carried off to murder sweetly.

We ate everything very simply, just sauteed or raw.
I'll put my own pictures up this evening, but to tide you over I just noticed that a neighbor of mine is also blogging her Prospect Heights CSA share here.

No comments: