Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Perfect Party Cake

In my genius for skipping the picturesque, I didn't make Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake exactly as planned. However, since I will be making 101 permutations of this cake before the summer is over (it closely resembles Stacey and Avi's possible wedding cake--white cake, lemony buttercream, jam), I don't feel too badly. And it's not like I neglected the challenge. I just didn't do exactly what Dorie said (nothing new there, with the exception of that jaw droppingly perfect lemon cream). Instead, I used the perfect party cake as the base for a Perfect Party Princess Cake, which starred at Miriam's graduation picnic at the beginning of the month.

It was, indeed, perfect, but I don't think it will become a favorite cake recipe, just because Rose Levy Berenbaum offers so much more. I couldn't leave her now. Although Jill does have a birthday coming up, but I have to assume she'd like a bit of chocolate.

No comments: