Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie: Chipster-Topped Brownies

I found this week's TWD challenge vaguely annoying. It falls into the category of twee names and Pillsbury Bake-Off type unnecessary recipe hybrids. Chocolate chip cookie dough baked on top of brownies? I mean, ok, nothing wrong with that, but...I don't think it improves either component and increases the possibility of over or under baking one or the other. I think I overbaked the chocolate chip part, waiting for the brownies. The whole thing came out a little dryer than I would have liked, but my Reference Services class ate it happily enough.

But, really. I don't mean to be a pastry prude, but why diminish two of America's finest desserts with this kind of overkill? It's so...well...American. Well, there you have it. I do love my country.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

They look wonderful! I wasn't sure how impressed I was with this recipe until they sat overnight. Very tasty!

Kara said...

Oh your post made me laugh out loud. I totally agree. I thought that this might be good and interesting, but mostly I was just underwhelmed. Give me a really good brownie and a really good cookie and don't go mixing the two together. :)

Anonymous said...

Your brownies look really tasty! How were you able to cut them without it falling apart??

TeaLady said...

I would rather have mine separate, too. They were awfully tasty, sweet, but tasty.