Friday, April 18, 2008

Popovers, Pies, & Rye

One giant post to sum up Thursday. I baked all day, not without meltdowns, but the net yield was 12 popovers, 8 pies (2 berry/nectarine, 2 banana cream, 2 chocolate cream, 2 sweet potato), 2 mini sweet potato pies and a basin of sweet potato pudding, and a couple of loaves of Rose Levy Berenbaum's Jewish Rye.









Consumed by me: 8 popovers, one mini sweet potato pie, a few slices of bread, 4 cucumbers, fistfuls of pastry cream and chocolate pudding, and some spaghetti with garlic, oil, & parmesan. One of the pies was burnt to a crisp. Tip: never put a finished pie under broiler hoping for prettier color. The rest were packed up for The Team's benefit tonight. Rumor has it that one of the boxes is going home with Mandy. (Update: He first requested just a sliver. Within ten minutes, he had relented and requested the rest to take home, for seder. 'NO! It has CRUST!,' I burst out without thinking when this was relayed to me. Then I decided that he and his lovely wife can take care of themselves, and that if they want chocolate pie at their seder, who am I to stand in their way. I'm just the flattered baker.)
It was a stressful day, and most of the results weren't as pretty as I could have hoped, but I very much enjoyed all the planning and puttering. Special thanks to Jake, for being my partner in pie. I don't have pictures of his pies, but they were outstandingly beautiful, with perfect crusts, fluted and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

No comments: